Is your teen thinking about taking the SAT or ACT and wondering if they can study on their own and still get a high score? Does the idea of high-stakes testing create anxiety for your child? Has your teen taken the SAT or ACT and didn’t get the score that they had hoped?
Navigating the world of high-stakes testing like the SAT and ACT can be stressful and daunting for both teens and parents. It can be hard just trying to decide when to start preparation and to figure out which test is best suited for your child. Students who don’t have the preparation or experience of taking tests such as these typically go into the test stressed and anxious. They may have had some practice tests at school, but they’re not taught what skills to focus on and how to strategize so that they use their time effectively.
Sure, there are lots of preparation books out there, but it’s not the same as having someone there who’s helping your child every step of the way. Someone who’s experienced and has well-honed, time-tested skills and strategies to impart to your child. Someone who can assess your child’s strengths and weaknesses and get them on the right track.
As we have mentioned in a recent blog, college admissions are highly competitive, and SAT and ACT scores are a big factor in deciding who gets in. Each institution’s admission requirements differ, and therefore, students need every advantage possible to stand out among the multitude of applicants. By far, having an SAT or ACT tutor is one of the best ways to maximize your return on investment (ROI) as a parent.
Here are 7 benefits of being tutored for the SAT/ACT:
- A tutor will work with your teen to identify their strengths and weaknesses, not only in academics but time management when it comes to test-taking. We will develop a plan to improve and enhance these skills.
- Working with one of our tutors will help your teens achieve the coveted 1200 score on the SAT and the 26 on the ACT. An SAT score of 1200 is above average and will place the student in the 74th percentile of high school students taking the SAT. In Georgia, this will qualify them to receive the Zell Miller Scholarship.
- Higher scores means that your child will have more high quality choices of colleges to attend and better scholarship opportunities. Considering that the average cost of tuition in Georgia is $38,000 – $50,000, it’s a great investment to make for your family.
- On the day of the test, the teen will have had several weeks if not months of preparation on the specific kinds of questions they may see and on the time they should allow for each one, along with timed practice tests with their tutor. This results in a confidence booster and assurance that they will know what to expect. High confidence translates into high scores.
- Working with one of our highly-qualified tutors in our small groups maximizes the student’s time and effort, resulting in a win-win situation. Our tutors have over 20 years of experience with big name preparation companies, and they teach students the most effective strategies to give them the edge needed to excel.
- When it comes to high-stakes testing, we’ve found that teens are most successful with accountability. We begin with a personalized study plan for each student that involves timelines and a list of skills needed for mastery. This equips the student with the mindset, content knowledge, and time-management strategies to score high on the test.
- Working with a tutor creates a dedicated focus. By incorporating a personalized plan that is consistent and appropriate for children, we provide the structure that is needed. We’ve found that if students are left to try and manage the test preparation on their own, they get overwhelmed and get off schedule, resulting in not mastering the content and time-management elements needed.
In my experience as a teacher and a businesswoman, I have come to the conclusion that it is worth getting an SAT or ACT tutor because of the enormous ROI—in the short-term (e.g., scholarship money) and in the long-term (e.g., being accepted to a school of your child’s choice and/or a top notch school). Again, it’s about choices, and higher scores mean more choices!
We, at Dynamis Learning Academy, are here to help your teen prepare for college admission. Contact owner Helen Panos at email@example.com or at 770-282-9931 to schedule a free consultation about the SAT/ACT Prep, college admission essay writing, or any other area of concern.
Helen is an expert educator with over 25 years of years of experience. She believes in the importance of helping children reach their potential and become well-rounded, intelligent citizens with a positive influence and impact on society. Helen assists parents in accessing the best skills, strategies, tools, and resources to help children be successful and ultimately excel in the world.